A unique two-day hiking experience in Smolikas with an overnight stay at the Smolika Mountain Refuge and final destination the drakolimni and the Smolikas peak at 2,637m. The dense forests of black pines, beeches, firs and rombolas & the alpine meadows that we will cross until we reach the drakolimni are considered to be among the most beautiful – wild areas of Greece.
hiking | ascent to the Drakolimni of Smolikas | 17km | medium difficulty | ages: 16+
We leave early on Saturday morning to the village of Paleoselli (1080m altitude), from where we will start the walk to the Smolika refuge (1750m altitude). The hike takes place on a path and a forest road and is of moderate difficulty (about 4 km).
On Sunday morning we leave for the second part of the route (4.5 km) to Drakolimni of Smolika through a dense forest of pines and holm oaks and after 1.5 to 2 hours we arrive at Drakolimni. Those who wish and have the required physical condition will start earlier in the morning for the summit at 2,637m (6.5km/direction – approx. 4.5 hours/direction) and will meet the rest of the group in Drakolimni. After admiring the unique view, we start our return to the village of Paleoselli where we will meet our bus to return to Thessaloniki.
The mountain refuge of Smolikas is a stone building with rooms for 6 people. It is located at an altitude of 1750m, at the foot of Mount Smolikas, at the location ‘La Nane’, surrounded by a dense white pine forest (robolo) and is a station for the mountaineering path O3. After sunset the interior of the shelter is illuminated with oil lamps and the absolute absence of light pollution offers a magical spectacle to the sky.
The common areas include the hall with stove, fireplace and two large dining rooms, a shower, and separate men’s/women’s WC. he shelter operates an organized kitchen for all meals of the day, while many of the meals are cooked in a traditional wood oven!
The excursion takes place with a minimum required number of entries of 10 people and a maximum of 27 people.
_the prices are per person and include:
- transfer from Thessaloniki
- accommodation at Smolikas Mountain Shelter
- accompanied by experienced escorts of our company
- hiking sticks
- liability insurance | legal taxes
- the _€ /person option includes an extra night and the ascent to the top of Smolikas
_prices do not include:
- extra meals and drinks
_do not forget:
- hiking / trekking / mountaineering shoes
- backpack (ideally 40lit)
- snacks (pastelia, chocolates, power bars) | water (1 lit)
- sleeping bag, bedsheet & pillowcase, slippers
- personal hygiene items
- raincoat – windstopper
- kilometers on Saturday : 4km | H.D. +670m
- kilometers on Sunday: 9km (to the Drakolimni and back) & 4km
- kilometers on Sunday with summit: 14km (for summit – Drakolimni and back) & 4km
- Required physical condition: good