The alpine lakes (glacier remnants) that are formed at high altitudes are characterized as Drakolimnes (Dragon Lakes). The drakolimni of Tymfi is located in the alpine meadow of Tymfi, at an altitude of 2.050m, has an area of about 8 acres and is known for the alpine newts it hosts in its waters.
On our two-day excursion, we depart from Thessaloniki early on Saturday morning for the village of Mikro Papigo and start our hike to the Astrakas mountain refuge (5.9km | 3 – 3.5 hours), where we will spend the night. On Sunday we make the climb to the drakolimni (2.8km | 1.5-2 hours), make a stop for the necessary photos and start for our return. We make a stop again at the Astrakas Shelter to pick up our things and take the road back to Mikro Papigo, from where the bus will pick us up.
On the three-day excursion we depart from Thessaloniki on Friday morning and on Saturday the climb to the top of Tymfi, Gamila peak at an altitude of 2,497m is added to the program. (5,6km | 3-3,5 hours/direction).
hiking | ascent to the Drakolimni of Tymfi | 18km | moderate/demanding difficulty | ages: 14+
A beautiful route, one of the most popular in Greece, which starts from the village of Mikro Papigo and is characterized by the many alternations of landscapes. We start our hike from the cobblestone mines of the village, continue through forests with oaks and mountain cypress to meet bare lakes, dry rocks, alpine meadows and end up in airy saddles and at the top of the mountain near 2000m, where the dragon lake is located.
The excursion takes place with a minimum required number of entries of 10 people and a maximum of 30 people.
_the price per person is 110€ (two days) | 150€ (three days) and includes:
- transfer from Thessaloniki
- accommodation at the Astrakas Mountain Refuge
- accompanied by experienced escorts of our company
- hiking sticks
- liability insurance | legal taxes
- the 150€ /person option includes an extra night and the ascent to the top of Tymfi, Gamila (2,497m)
_prices do not include:
- extra meals and drinks
_do not forget:
- hiking / trekking / mountaineering shoes
- backpack (ideally 40lit)
- snacks (pastels, chocolates, power bars) | water (1.5lit)
- sleeping bag, pillowcase & slippers
- personal hygiene items
- raincoat – windstopper
- kilometers on Friday (ascent – 3days trip): 5,9km | H.D. +1000m
- kilometers on Saturday (ascent – 3days trip): 11,2km
- kilometers on Saturday (ascent – 2days trip): 5,9km | H.D. +1000m
- kilometers on Sunday: 5.8km (to the Drakolimni and back) & 5,9km
- Required physical condition: good